Rooting your Xiaomi Mi 8 using Magisk will allow you to use root apps, perform modifications to the phone’s software, and do way more, all while passing Google’s SafetyNet. During this tutorial, we’ll show you the way to put in TWRP recovery and simultaneously root Xiaomi Mi 8/Mi 8 Lite/Mi 8 SE.
Compatible with any Mi 8 device running MIUI 9 (Android 8.1 Oreo), MIUI 10 (Android 9 Pie), and MIUI 11 (Android 10).
Xiaomi Mi 8 Specifications: Overview
Table of contents
The Xiaomi Mi 8 is that the company’s 2018 flagship and also the successor to the Mi 6. Powered by the Snapdragon 845 chipset, it totes a 6.21″ 1080 x 2248 display, 6 GB of RAM, and comes in storage options of 64/128/256 GB.
As is that the case for many Xiaomi devices, the event community is pretty quick to urge right down to work on these as soon because the device is launched. With the provision of TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi 8/Mi 8 Lite/Mi 8 SE, you’ll be able to now easily root the phone using Magisk.
Rooting the Xiaomi Mi 8 may be a 3-step process, as is that the case with almost every modern-day Xiaomi device. In brief, you may start by first unlocking the phone’s bootloader.
Once unlocked, the second step is to put in TWRP recovery, and eventually flash Magisk to root Xiaomi Mi 8 devices.
Make sure that you simply fulfill all the wants listed below before you head to the instructions.
- First and foremost, make sure that you are taking a full backup of all the information on your phone. This includes messages, contacts, and everything else that you just feel necessary.
- Charge the Xiaomi Mi 8’s battery to a minimum of 70% to avoid any shutdown during the method.
- Enable USB debugging: to try to so, visit the device ‘Settings’ -> ‘About phone’. Then tap on the ‘MIUI version’ continuously until ‘You are now a developer!’ message appears on the screen.
- Also, enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options. For that, move to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Aditional settings’ and tap on ‘Developer options’. Scroll down and enable the ‘OEM Unlocking’ toggle.
- Make sure to install Android platform-tools on the PC. Here’s a quick guide on how to do it. If you’d like a simpler approach, then you can use the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool.
- Download and install the latest Xiaomi USB drivers on the PC.
When asked to download a file during the steps, come here and download it.
- TWRP Recovery:
- Xiaomi Mi 8: twrp-3.3.1-2-dipper-mauronofrio.img | Check for the latest version here
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite: recovery-TWRP-3.3.1-1207-XIAOMI8LITE-CN-wzsx150.img
- Xiaomi Mi 8 SE: Download link (Passcode: jneg)
- Magisk Installer zip: Magisk-v20.3.zip | Check for the latest version here
Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 8
In order to put in TWRPhttps://magiskroot.net/install-download-magisk-manager-latest/#How_to_Download_Magisk_Manager_Latest_Version and root Xiaomi Mi 8, you need to first unlock the bootloader. If you have got already done it, you’ll head over straight to the steps below.
Once unlocked, head over to the following section below to put in TWRP recovery on the phone.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8
- First, download TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi 8/Lite/SE.
- Transfer the downloaded image (.img) file to the folder where the ADB/fastboot binaries are present (e.g. C:\platform-tools).
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on any empty space inside this folder.
- Select the “Open PowerShell window here” option.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Now hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously besides into Fastboot mode
- Connect the phone to the PC while it’s in Fastboot mode.
- Enter the subsequent command to confirm that your phone is correctly being detected by the PC over fastboot: .\fastboot devices
- The command should return the device ID. If it doesn’t, then confirm that you just have the right USB drivers installed.
- Enter the subsequent command to put in TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8: .\fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery.img
- Replace “twrp-recovery.img” with the particular filename of the file. Example: .\fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-2-dipper-mauronofrio.img
- Now it’s important in addition to TWRP first before you’ll be able to boot into the OS. To do so, enter the subsequent command: .\fastboot boot recovery twrp-recovery.img
- Again, replace “twrp-recovery.img” with the actual filename of the file. Example: .\fastboot boot recovery twrp-3.3.1-2-dipper-mauronofrio.img
- Your phone should now be in the TWRP recovery mode. Go ahead and follow the steps below to root Xiaomi Mi 8 using Magisk.
Instructions to Root Xiaomi Mi 8
- First, download Magisk installer zip on the PC.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to Allow Modifications’ button in TWRP when prompted.
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 8 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Go to the ‘Mount’ menu in TWRP and press the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Copy the downloaded Magisk file to the phone’s internal storage.
- Now visit the ‘Install’ menu in TWRP and choose the ‘Magisk-v20.3.zip‘ file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the underside of the screen to flash Magisk and root Xiaomi Mi 8/Mi 8 Lite/Mi 8 SE.
- Once the installation is complete, tap the ‘Reboot System’ button and let the device reboot.
After the phone boots, you ought to see the Magisk Manager app among the installed apps. Simply launch the application to verify that Magisk has been successfully installed.
You ought to now have full root access on your Xiaomi Mi 8. You’ll now plow ahead and install root apps, use Magisk to cover root from root-detecting apps, install audio mods like ViPER4Android, and do way more.
Also, with TWRP installed on your Mi 8, you’ll be able to now flash custom ROMs, mods, and kernels on your phone, or use it to backup/restore the whole OS.
So, this was our detailed guide a way to Install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi 8/Mi 8 Lite/Mi 8 SE using Magisk. If you have got any questions or face any issues during the method, do be happy to allow us to know via the comments section below, and that we will do our greatest to assist you out.
Enjoy your rooted Xiaomi Mi 8 now!